Newcastle United crashed out of the Capital One Cup after Manchester City struck twice in extra time to end the Geordies’ cup hopes. Alvaro Negredo finally broke the deadlock after 99 minutes, before Edin Dzeko put the tie beyond Newcastle six minutes later.

The home side certainly had their chances to win it though, none more so than when Papiss Cisse wasted a glorious opportunity shortly into extra time.

Both sides made wholesale changes to their starting line-ups, City making ten changes including the introduction of Costel Pantilimon in place of Joe Hart. Massadio Haidara made his first start of the season for Newcastle and Shola Ameobi started in attack alongside Cisse.

The two combined for the best chance of the first half, Ameobi flicking on a Tim Krul goal kick for his partner, who could only lift his effort wide of goal. The poor run of form continues for Cisse, who has now gone 15 games without finding the net.

City also had problems up front as Stevan Jovetic was taken off with a calf injury after ten minutes and replaced by Negredo. In-form striker Sergio Aguero was given the night off.

City’s captain for the night Micah Richards headed over when well positioned in the second half as the visitors started to impose themselves but Newcastle were far from overpowered by their opponents’ attacking power.

Former Newcastle man James Milner had City’s biggest chance when Krul misjudged a through ball but couldn’t find the empty net.

The game changed when David Silva was introduced for the visitors, as the Spaniard brought some much-needed creativity to proceedings and made his side look more threatening. However, they couldn’t get the breakthrough and the match headed into extra time.

With an extra half an hour to find a winner, Cisse spurned the chance to send his side through to the quarter finals. Toon sub Hatem Ben Arfa superbly found the Senegal striker but the finish wasn’t good enough to beat Pantilimon, who made the kind of save his manager would have been looking for as he ponders dropping Joe Hart for Premier League action.

The save signalled the final chance for Newcastle to nick a winner as City then found the opener nine minutes into the extra period. Dzeko crossed low from the left and Negredo escaped Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa for long enough to poke past Krul.

Six minutes after Negredo’s strike, Dzeko went from provider to scorer as he finished off the move of the match.
City’s quality shone through for the first time in the evening when Milner linked up with Silva before finding the Bosnian in the box and watching on as he finished Newcastle off.