Yohan Cabaye - Newcastle United Football News

Newcastle’s Carling Cup campaign has came to an end after Blackburn edged a 4-3 thriller at Ewood Park. The Geordies went behind three times but clawed themselves level each time, before Gael Givet struck with one minute left in extra time to send the Magpies crashing out of a cup competition they believed they could win.

Ruben Rochina opened the scoring for the home side after just five minutes when he swept home Martin Olsson’s left-wing cross and the home side didn’t look like a side fighting for their Premier League survival as they controlled the majority of the first half.

Demba Ba’s physical battle with Christopher Samba wasn’t one for the faint hearted, as the pair traded blows (not literally) all night. Ba got the better of the Congolese international as he burst through, but his shot flashed back off the post with Mark Bunn beaten.

Newcastle struggled to recreate their impressive form of late and fell further behind when Tim Krul brought down Rochina to give Yakubu the simple task of sending the yellow-carded Krul the wrong way.

The second half was more of the same for the visitors, as they struggled to break down the resolute Blackburn back line. Time looked to have ran out for the Geordies before Danny Guthrie, making his first start of the season, gave his side hope when he lashed home a 30-yard screamer. With three minutes of added time already elapsed, it looked like Rovers would hang on but Yohan Cabaye had other ideas. The French international found the top corner with a stunning free-kick to send the tie into extra time, after Peter Lovenkrands had been fouled.

With another half an hour in store, the momentum of the tie looked to be firmly in Newcastle’s camp, but they fell behind again when Morten Gamst Pedersen’s long range free kick was deflected past the already diving Krul.

However, the Geordies still weren’t done and with eight minutes remaining, Peter Lovenkrands was pulled back inside the box and the referee consulted with his assistant before awarding the penalty. The Danish striker stepped up and confidently squeezed his shot past Bunn to take a thrilling tie one step further towards a penalty shootout.

But it still wasn’t over, as Gael Givet popped up with a last-gasp header to send Blackburn through to the quarter finals and inflict Newcastle’s first defeat of the season.

It was ironic that Newcastle had got to the fourth round stage with two tight victories over Scunthorpe and Nottingham Forest and their luck eventually ran out when Givet headed home, just like Coloccini did against Forest, to send them crashing out.


No Responses

  1. Rob Brown

    Your report says we went behind 3 times and drew level each time.

    So which match were you actually at?

    In the one I saw we were 2-0 down.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.