Ten-man Newcastle earned a valuable point at home to Liverpool, as a late Daniel Sturridge goal stopped the Magpies from earning a memorable victory at St James’ Park.

The home side took the lead after half an hour when Yohan Cabaye struck his second goal in three games from 30 yards, before Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa was sent off for hauling down Luis Suarez just before half time.

Steven Gerrard netted his 100th Premier League goal from the resulting spot kick to send the sides in level at the break before Newcastle again took the lead in the second half when Paul Dummett volleyed Cabaye’s free kick home.

Sturridge levelled with 18 minutes remaining to send the Reds top of the Premier League for at least a couple of hours.

Buoyed by a typically vocal home support, Newcastle started brightly and matched Liverpool in every area as Alan Pardew opted for an attacking line-up. Hatem Ben Arfa played as a central striker, while in-form Loic Remy and Yoan Gouffran were either side. Cheick Tiote captained the side in the absence of Fabricio Coloccini, who picked up a groin injury while on international duty in midweek.

The visitors lacked the intensity and tempo that had seen them rise to the top of the league in the early stages, perhaps a consequence of having the majority of their squad returning from various parts of the world after international honours. The style suited Newcastle, who took the lead after 23 minutes.

Cabaye won the ball back on halfway before advancing unchallenged and unleashing a powerful effort. At first glance it looked like Liverpool ‘keeper Simon Mignolet might have done better but the dip on the shot made it bounce just before the Belgian stopper and find the bottom corner.

Shortly before Newcastle took the lead, Luis Suarez was doing his best to find a breakthrough for his side. His partnership with Sturridge was on show again as Krul denied the Uruguayan with a low stop, before he set up Mamadou Sakho who volleyed over the bar.

The turning point of the match came shortly before half-time, when Suarez collected a through ball and raced through on goal. Yanga-Mbiwa found himself the wrong side of the striker and attempted to recover but only succeeded in tugging the shirt of Suarez, who needed no second invitation to hit the turf.

Andre Marriner had no option but to send the Frenchman off – Newcastle’s second red card of the season – and Gerrard converted the penalty to send the sides into the break level.

Pardew replaced Moussa Sissoko with Paul Dummett at half-time and despite having to fill in at centre back, excelled in his unfamiliar role. The 22-year-old kept a close eye on Daniel Sturridge and limited the England man’s influence while forming a quick partnership with Mike Williamson.

Glen Johnson tested Krul with a fierce shot shortly into the second half as Liverpool started to take advantage of having an extra man.

Newcastle were forced into playing on the counter attack and with the pace of Remy, Gouffran and Ben Arfa, they were always a threat. It was on one occasion when Remy was running at Liverpool’s back three that he was fouled and won a free kick in a dangerous position.

Cabaye floated it in and after the slightest touch from Williamson; Dummett arrived at the back post and volleyed home for his first ever Newcastle goal.

It looked like the home side were going to hold on for the win as Dummett and Williamson repelled everything the visitors threw at them, but a moment of genius from Suarez earned the second equaliser.

His neat backheel opened up space down the left wing and after collecting the return pass, found Sturridge with a perfect cross for the England man who nodded home.

There was a chance late on when Suarez had a free kick from the edge of the area but Krul saved well to ensure Newcastle held on to a point and head into the Wear-Tyne derby next week full of confidence from an encouraging performance.