Newcastle’s recent fine form came to a crashing halt in South Wales as Swansea strolled to a 3-0 win at the Liberty Stadium.

Goals from Nathan Dyer and Jonjo Shelvey sandwiched an own goal from Mathieu Debuchy, as the Magpies’ suffered their first defeat since the Derby Day debacle at Sunderland.

Alan Pardew named an unchanged side to the one that overcame West Brom on Saturday but was unable to name Hatem Ben Arfa of Papiss Cisse in his squad. The Frenchman was suffering with illness, while Cisse missed out with a heel injury.

Loic Remy led the line with Shola Ameobi for the visitors and it was the in-form Frenchman who had the first half’s best chance. Debuchy’s excellent cross from the right was met powerfully by the former Marseille striker but Michel Vorm pulled off a stunning one-handed save to deny Remy his ninth goal of the season.

Swansea were playing with typical patience and dominating possession but it took almost the entire first half for them to create a real chance. That came courtesy of an error from Tim Krul, who made a mess of an attempted punch and set up Nathan Dyer, who finished with a powerful volley.

Newcastle began to push hard in the second half for an equaliser and should have had it when Remy tiptoed through inside the box. His effort was going in when it struck the outstretched arm of Ben Davies and despite huge protests, Howard Webb ignored the appeals.

Webb was once again the centre of attention later in the half, when he again refused to point to the spot when Yoan Gouffran was barged in the back by Ashley Williams.

From the incident, Swansea broke away and Shelvey was through on goal. Debuchy was the only man back for Newcastle and despite getting a toe to the ball as Shelvey prepared to strike, the shot rebounded back off the Frenchman and dribbled into the net to give the home side a two-goal cushion.

That killed off Newcastle’s hopes of making it five wins on the spin but there was still time for Michael Laudrup’s side to add a third, as Shelvey swept an excellent effort past Krul with nine minutes to go.

The former Liverpool midfielder was lucky to be on the pitch after clashing with Debuchy earlier in the game, an incident in which Shelvey appeared to throw a head butt at the Newcastle right-back, only for Webb to miss the clash.
With that kind of luck going against them it was never going to be Newcastle’s night at the Liberty, and the home side eased through the final stages to end the Magpies’ winning streak