Newcastle United made it six wins out of six as Moussa Sissoko’s second half strike proved enough to see off QPR at St James’ Park.

Sissoko’s strike was reward for a fine display from the home side, who were the dominant side from the first whistle but struggled to find a way past a resolute R’s defence.

Rob Green made a series of straightforward saves from Ayoze Perez and various others, before Sissoko’s strike flew past him with less than 20 minutes remaining.

It was a strike capable of winning any game, as Newcastle passed the ball left and right for what seemed like an eternity, before Sissoko smashed home inside the box.

Alan Pardew was clearly keen to stick with as many of the team that had beaten West Brom last time out, so Mike Williamson replacing the injured Fabricio Coloccini was one of only two changes.

The other was Ryan Taylor. The versatile former Wigan man was the choice to replace Mehdi Abeid in the centre of midfield and made his first Premier League start for over two years.

And it was Taylor who was the key man for the majority of the first half.

The 30-year-old was reminiscent of Yohan Cabaye, spreading the ball around from a central midfield position and getting forward regularly.

Newcastle forced seven corners in the first half and most of those were curled in by Taylor – who watched on as Rob Green made several unconvincing attempts at claiming the crosses.

Taylor also went close when Cabella delivered a clever corner to the edge of the box but Green was able to divert the shot over the bar.

However, Taylor’s afternoon was to be short-lived. Six minutes after testing Green, he went down on the edge of his own box with another knee injury before being replaced by Yoan Gouffran.

The change certainly dented Newcastle’s momentum and the home side struggled to replicate the tempo that had QPR defending deep in their own half for the majority of the game.

In the second half, Gouffran went close to latching onto a Sammy Ameobi cross but was foiled by Steven Caulker, before Ayoze Perez – looking for his fourth goal in four games – fired a shot at Green from the Frenchman’s low cross.

Perez also wasted the clearest chance to score when he broke through and found himself one on one with Green but decided to cut back and beat an extra defender, allowing the former England goalkeeper to save with his chest.

But just minutes later, Newcastle finally made the breakthrough. The Magpies kept possession well before advancing down the left and Sissoko laid it off at the feet of Ameobi.

The Frenchman made a nice run off the defender and was found by Ameobi, before holding off his marker and firing a fine effort past Green into the far corner.

QPR have only scored two goals away from home all season so it was always going to be tough for Harry Redknapp’s side to turn it around. They struggled to create anything all game – Tim Krul didn’t have a save to make – and the closest they came in the final ten minutes was when substitute Junior Hoilett sent a wayward effort high into the stand.

Newcastle almost doubled their advantage when sub Papiss Cisse went through on goal but Sissoko’s strike was enough to send Alan Pardew’s men fourth in the Premier League, just weeks after being in the relegation zone.