John Carver’s first game as caretaker manager ended in an entertaining but frustrating 3-3 draw with Burnley.

The Geordies were ahead three times in the contest but the Clarets were able to hit back each time, thanks to some highly questionable defending and goalkeeping from the home side.

Steven Taylor headed Newcastle in front from a corner but Paul Dummett’s own goal levelled the scores just four minutes later. Jack Colback put the Magpies back in front with an excellent long range effort, only for Danny Ings to score midway through the second half to level again.

Moussa Sissoko then thought he’d won it 12 minutes from time but George Boyd scored his second goal of the season against Newcastle with four minutes left to earn Burnley a point.

Burnley were forced into making all three substitutions before half-time as three of their players were taken off with injuries. Sean Dyche had named the same starting eleven for the sixth game in a row and should perhaps have seen the fatigue coming.

Carver meanwhile had made two changes to the side that edged Everton 3-2 four days ago. Taylor replaced Mike Williamson and Emmanuel Riviere made his first start since the end of September in place of the suspended Papiss Cisse.

From the first whistle, the home side looked energised and dangerous. Yoan Gouffran had a poor 2014 and has been unable to rediscover the kind of form that made him a regular scorer for Newcastle but started brightly, testing Tom Heaton with a fierce drive after three minutes.

Gouffran again went close minutes later, firing a deflected shot wide after reacting first to a loose ball from a corner. Fellow Frenchman Riviere should have done better when he was found by Daryl Janmaat in the box but headed over, but the warning signs were there for Burnley.

The breakthrough came after a quarter of an hour and from an unlikely source. Newcastle’s record of scoring from corners is nothing short of woeful but Taylor was able to climb high and head Colback’s centre past Heaton.

Newcastle looked good. Taylor’s goal was the first goal they had scored inside the first 30 minutes all season but Burnley’s equaliser came just four minutes later.

A long ball upfield wasn’t dealt with by Coloccini and as it dropped to Dummett, he headed a backpass over the stranded Jak Alnwick.

The home side remained undeterred though and kept up their good play. Six minutes after conceding, Colback found space infield and collected Janmaat’s pass before thrashing a powerful shot past Heaton and in off the post.

Newcastle held their lead until half-time comfortably but despite almost scoring directly from kick-off in the second half, couldn’t match their play in the second period.

Burnley came out fighting and Newcastle couldn’t get a foothold. Ings curled a shot against the crossbar and Ashley Barnes headed the follow up against the post with Alnwick lost.

A second equaliser was coming as the visitors started to dominate possession. It came when substitute Michael Kightly crossed from the left and Ings was able to get in front of Dummett and flick a header just inside the far post.

Carver responded by taking off Riviere and replacing him with Adam Armstrong but the move didn’t work as the diminutive striker struggled to hold the ball up when it was launched towards him.

However, despite Newcastle’s failure to reproduce any of their first-half form, a moment of magic from Ayoze Perez provided them with what looked like a winner.

The 21-year-old Spaniard got the ball inside the box and got the better of three Burnley defenders as he wriggled towards the byline before firing a cross to the far post, where Sissoko was waiting to smash home.

However, there was to be no win for Carver in his first game in temporary charge as Boyd fired a simple-looking shot at Alnwick, who couldn’t keep it out despite getting a big hand to it.