Alan Pardew made history today, as Wilfried Bony’s injury time penalty ensured the Newcastle boss was the first to oversee five consecutive Premier League defeats.

Bony scored twice for Swansea, heading in a corner in the last minute of the first half to equalise after Shola Ameobi had scored his first Premier League goal of the season earlier.

But despite the strong start, the Swans turned it around and Bony’s last-gasp penalty earned them a first away win under boss Garry Monk.

The defeat prompted deafening boos around St James’ Park and Pardew now has very little support from fans who call for his questionable tactics to be dismissed.

Those tactics prompted plenty of head scratching when the team sheets came out just before kick-off, as many tried to work out exactly what formation the Magpies were playing. It was rumoured to be a 3-5-2 system like last week against Stoke but when the teams got on the pitch, two full-backs in the shape of Paul Dummett and Vurnon Anita quickly rubbished that theory.

Pardew also chose to leave Loic Remy and Mathieu Debuchy on the bench, but was forced into bringing them both on before half-time, as both Papiss Cisse and Luuk de Jong went off with injuries.

De Jong had made an impact on the match before he went off though, as he supplied the pass for Ameobi’s first Premier League goal in over a year. The Dutchman found Ameobi in the box and the veteran striker turned his defender before rolling a low shot past Michel Vorm in the Swansea goal.

Up until half-time, Newcastle were arguably the better team. Debuchy coming on meant Anita could move into midfield and the Frenchman could take up his normal right-back position, giving his team a threat from out wide.

But despite their encouraging display, the Geordies couldn’t hang onto their lead until half-time. A corner conceded by Cheick Tiote was curled in and Bony’s powerful surge and header was too much for the Toon defence.

After half-time Newcastle again dictated the game without really threatening. Dan Gosling – who was impressive in centre midfield, harassing Swansea whenever they were in possession and getting forward well – fired a left-footed volley towards the bottom corner but Vorm turned it away well.

The returning Remy was doing his best to get back on the score sheet but looked a fraction off the pace. A pull back found the borrowed striker on the penalty spot but his lunging effort was well wide before he curled a long-range strike narrowly over the bar minutes later.

Ameobi – probably buoyed by his goal drought ending – also tested Vorm with a sweet strike from the edge of the box but it lacked enough direction to trouble the Dutch keeper. Jonathan De Guzman replied for the visitors by curling a shot onto the roof of Krul’s netting.

As time ticked towards Newcastle’s first point in five games, Newcastle pushed for a winner but got caught on a counter attack. Substitute Marvin Emnes broke away and when he evaded Fabricio Coloccini inside the area, Tiote scruffily brought him down and gave away the penalty.

Bony expertly dispatched the spot kick and the toxic atmosphere began.