Papiss Cisse’s second half goal earned Newcastle United a point at Turf Moor after George Boyd’s opener had the Magpies heading for their second defeat in three days.

Boyd’s goal had the Clarets ahead at the break but Cisse – making his first start in four games – connected with Daryl Janmaat’s cross to earn a point for his side.

Alan Pardew’s team selection was made difficult after Moussa Sissoko and Jack Colback picked up suspensions against West Ham but the Newcastle boss was boosted by the return of Mehdi Abeid and Janmaat.

Abeid partnered Captain Cheick Tiote in midfield and Cisse lead the line up front with Ayoze Perez in the number 10 role but it was the home side that made the brighter start.

In-form striker Danny Ings was a constant threat to Newcastle’s back four and forced Rob Elliot into a one-handed save in the early stages.

Ings’s strike partner Ashley Barnes also had a sight of goal after 21 minutes, only to see his curling effort go narrowly over Elliot’s crossbar.

Newcastle responded when Yoan Gouffran nodded down Sammy Ameobi’s cross into the path of Cisse but the Senegal striker blazed a wild volley high into the crowd.

Despite Cisse’s chance, the home side looked the more likely to score and the breakthrough came just after the half-hour mark.

A long ball from Kieran Trippier was expertly diverted into the path of Boyd by Ings and the former Peterborough midfielder had time to smash a shot past the unsighted Elliot and give Burnley the lead.

Abeid came closest to getting an equaliser for the visitors when he burst through a couple of challenges but former Man United goalkeeper Tom Heaton was equal to the Algerian’s effort.

Burnley – who sensed their second win in four games – continued to pressure and more good work from Ings resulted in David Jones firing over just before the break.

It was clear that Newcastle needed fresh impetus in the match and Pardew responded by making a double change at half-time. Steven Taylor replaced Mike Williamson – who was clearly struggling with injury – and Remy Cabella came on for Perez.

The changes certainly worked.

Taylor’s influence seemed to calm a nervy back four and Cabella provided the creative spark in the final third that was lacking in the first half.

Cabella had only been on the pitch eight minutes when Newcastle got their equaliser. Sammy Ameobi whipped a dangerous cross in from the left which Burnley struggled to deal with, before Trippier smacked his clearance straight to Cabella.

The Frenchman’s shot was blocked but from the rebound Janmaat centred and via a flick from Gouffran, Cisse prodded home with his knee to level the scores.

The game seemed poised for Newcastle to go on and find a winner but thanks to Burnley’s recent impressive form, the newly promoted side were able to limit their opponents to half chances and earn a deserved point to lift them out of the relegation zone.