Newcastle United are safely through to the third round of the Capital One Cup after an own goal from John Egan gave the Magpies a 1-0 win over Gillingham.

The scoreline hardly does any favours for the goal-shy Magpies but in truth it was a comfortable workout for Alan Pardew’s side, who could have had more goals.

Pardew named a strong line-up for the tie, with five of the side who drew 0-0 with Aston Villa at the weekend named from the beginning at Priestfield. There was also a first start for Siem de Jong and the Dutchman had the first real sight of goal in the first half.

Benefitting from some excellent work from Massadio Haidara, de Jong turned in the box before smashing a shot towards goal, only to be denied by a vital block from Callum Davies.

That was the first sign of Newcastle flexing their attacking muscles and midway through the first half they found a way past Stephen Bywater.

Gabriel Obertan – fresh from a good pre-season – done well down the right wing before crossing for Emmanuel Riviere. The Frenchman was waiting for a tap-in but former Sunderland defender Egan arrived first to deflect past his own goalkeeper.

Haidara again caused problems down the left and it was his cross that almost led to Newcastle doubling their lead but youngster Rolando Aarons was unable to find the finish to beat Bywater.

Going into the second half it was again Haidara who impressed, first crossing for Riviere to strike over the bar before smashing a 30-yard effort off the crossbar himself.

As the clinching goal continued to evade the visitors, Gillingham were almost gifted a way back into the match when Tim Krul made a mess of a back pass by giving it straight to Gills striker Luke Norris but was lucky to see the ball bounce back to him rather than fly into the net.

Minutes later, the same player was again denied by the Dutch keeper when he tipped over after Norris had turned away from Fabricio Coloccini.

Newcastle got back on the front foot towards the end of the game though, going close through substitute Remy Cabella and right-back Daryl Janmaat but the own goal was enough to get the Magpies through to the third round of the league cup.