Newcastle United Fans - Header

For the second time in as many weeks, Newcastle threw away two points in injury time as a late Aaron Lennon goal denied them a great win in a thoroughly watchable contest.

Harry Redknapp recently had his wallet stolen on a scouting mission in Spain but today he was the one doing the robbing thanks to Lennon’s second goal against the Magpies this season.

Both goalkeepers were in for a busy afternoon and the crossbar took one hell of a beating as both Leon Best and Luka Modric found the woodwork rather than the back of the net.

In the words of Alan Pardew, the second half was “more like a basketball game than a football match” as he referred to the pulsating end-to-end action that entertained a 50,000 plus crowd at St James’ Park.

The first period was less of a thriller, with little in the way of goalmouth action. The closest anyone came was Best’s sliding effort that only found the underside of the bar before being cleared. Steve Harper also pulled off a good save after Jermain Defoe had been put through by Rafael Van Der Vaart’s delightful backheel.

However the second half didn’t take long to start flowing as Danny Guthrie smashed a superb cross-field ball towards Fabricio Coloccini. The Argentine defender, on his 29th birthday and his 100th appearance for Newcastle, expertly cushioned the ball inside Alan Hutton on his chest and rifled a volley into the far corner to the delight of everyone in the stadium.

Instead of trying to shut out the game and secure a 1-0 win, Newcastle went looking for a second and had chances to get it, with substitute Peter Lovenkrands wasting a one-on-one opportunity after being played in by Joey Barton. Shola Ameobi also went close with a curling left-foot effort from outside the area but a flying Carlo Cudicini denied Shola a rare long-range goal.

But the best chance fell to Nile Ranger when the teenager somehow skinned Alan Hutton and found himself through on goal from a tight angle. He did everything right but his effort slid just wide of the far post and ensured that his long wait for his first ever Premier League goal continues.

With the introduction of James Perch for the injured Danny Guthrie, Newcastle then attempted to play out the final few minutes without conceding but Spurs began to flex their muscles. First Modric hit a thunderbolt from 20 yards and nearly snapped the bar in two (it’s still rattling as I’m writing this) before Lennon levelled. The England winger was playing on the left side and managed to cut inside Danny Simpson and fire past Harper before anyone had chance to blink and give Spurs a point to take back to London.

Despite losing the lead in injury time again, Newcastle more than held their own in this game and a better final pass from some tiring legs could have give us an unassailable lead on many other days. However we are now unbeaten in four and playing some good stuff as we face a tricky trip to Fulham on Wednesday.