Three Newcastle players scored their first goals for the club but it was not enough to earn the Magpies their first win of the season as Crystal Palace snatched a late equaliser for a 3-3 draw at St James’ Park.

The afternoon started in the worst fashion for the home side as Dwight Gayle scored his fourth goal of the week in the opening minute, before Daryl Janmaat prodded home a scrappy leveller before the break.

Jason Puncheon restored Palace’s lead in the second half before goals from teenager Rolando Aarons and Mike Williamson looked to have won it for Newcastle, only for Wilfried Zaha – making his first appearance for the Eagles since joining on loan from Manchester United – to rescue a point for the visitors in injury time.

Before the game, much had been made of Newcastle’s inability to score so far this season. Alan Pardew was able to name Dutch midfielder Siem de Jong from the start to try and help his goal-shy side but it was Palace who made the perfect start.

Direct from kick-off, Neil Warnock’s side were first to a second ball on the edge of the area and Gayle was first to react when Tim Krul could only parry Marouane Chamakh’s shot.

Shell-shocked, Newcastle responded well and put pressure on their stubborn opponents for the majority of the rest of the half. The home side forced seven corners but were unable to fashion any real chances from their set pieces.

Remy Cabella looked lively and was trying to unlock a resolute Palace defence but it was an unlikely source that grabbed the equaliser.

Janmaat advanced well on the right before cutting into the box and bundling his way through three challenges before poking past Julian Speroni. Hardly the most eye-catching goal of the weekend but they all count.

With the sides level at the break and Newcastle having the momentum of the equaliser, Alan Pardew would have hoped his side could go on and dominate the second half but instead it was the visitors who made another bright start.

Just three minutes had passed in the second half when Puncheon collected a pass from the left and struck a volley that deflected off Fabricio Coloccini and flew past Krul into the far corner.

Newcastle again had to respond and Pardew reacted by introducing teenage winger Aarons for Yoan Gouffran. The 18-year-old took no time to start showing why he is so highly rated on Tyneside and had his side level after five minutes of pitch time.

Cabella’s corner was flicked towards Aarons by Scott Dann and the Jamaica-born flyer reacted well to head past Speroni for his first ever professional goal.

With time running out, Aarons again showed his ability with a run down the left. He turned inside and floated a cross towards the far post which deceived Speroni, came back off the woodwork and found Williamson, who stabbed home what looked like a late winner.

But there was more drama as Palace poured men forward in injury time and one-time Newcastle target Zaha found space on the edge of the box to drill a shot in off the post and earn his side a point.