Newcastle made it two wins in two games as they brushed aside Hull City in an eventful match at the KC Stadium.

Moussa Sissoko opened the scoring early in the first half for the visitors, before Loic Remy doubled the lead before half-time. Curtis Davies pulled one back for the Tigers but Newcastle were good value for their win and wrapped things up with another Sissoko goal and Vurnon Anita’s first ever Premier League goal.

However, the victory may be overshadowed by an off-field incident as Alan Pardew was sent off for an altercation with Hull midfielder David Meyler. The Magpies manager appeared to try and headbutt the former Sunderland player and was promptly sent to watch the remaining 20 minutes from the stands.

At least there was no late drama for the Toon boss to watch though, as his side hit Hull on the counter attack twice to make the score line look comfortable.

Pardew was forced into an unexpected change ahead of kick-off, as Fabricio Coloccini jetted back to Argentina to be with his family after bereavement. That meant Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa came into the starting XI, while Luuk de Jong started up front in place of Papiss Cisse.

When the two sides met at St James’ Park earlier this season, the action never stopped and it was a similar story at the KC.

Just ten minutes had passed when Sissoko swept home the opening goal but that came just seconds after Tim Krul had been called into action.

A corner wasn’t dealt with and Alex Bruce had two chances to give Hull the lead but Krul was on top form to deny the defender. Almost instantly, Newcastle headed down the other end and Remy found the overlapping Mathieu Debuchy. The French full-back cut it back and Sissoko was on hand to smash a lovely first-time finish into Alan McGregor’s top corner.

Hull attempted to respond and Long should have done better when he met a corner, only to head over the bar when well positioned.

Steve Bruce’s side continued to push for an equaliser and their new strike pairing of Long and Nikica Jelavic were causing problems. They combined via Ahmed Elmohamady for Jelavic to head wide at the front post just short of the half-hour mark.

The former Everton man went even closer minutes later, as his deflected free kick beat Krul but came back off the crossbar.

Hull looked more likely to score as the half came towards a close but a fatal error from Maynor Figueroa allowed Remy to double Newcastle’s advantage. The full-back didn’t get enough pace on his back pass and Newcastle’s top scorer won the race to round McGregor and send his side into the break two goals up.

After the break, Hull gave themselves a lifeline as Krul made a mistake trying to claim a Tom Huddlestone free-kick, allowing Curtis Davies to flick a header home.

The chances they’d created in the first half provoked the feeling that Hull had a real chance of getting an equaliser but they struggled to cause enough problems.

Perhaps it was testament to Newcastle that despite seeing their lead halved, they were still prepared to attack. They countered perfectly to restore daylight between the sides, as a free kick was cleared and Yoan Gouffran ran through on goal. Newcastle’s second highest scorer was denied by McGregor but the rebound fell to Sissoko for the finish.

But then came the drama.

The ball ran out of play and as Meyler chased, he pushed Pardew out of the way. The Newcastle manager responded angrily and the two were soon nose-to-nose. Pardew appeared to thrust towards the midfielder and once the crowd that had gathered had dispersed, referee Kevin Friend booked Meyler and sent Pardew off.

From his new vantage point, the Toon manager watched on as his side added a late fourth goal. Paul Dummett – again impressive at left-back – burst into the box and as his shot looped up off McGregor, Anita was there to tap home his first ever Premier League goal and round off a good win.