Fabricio Coloccini - Newcastle United News

Newcastle United missed out on Champions League qualification on the last day of the Premier League, as an impressive Everton side brushed aside the out-of-sorts Magpies.

Much of the day’s speculation was always going to be centred around Manchester, as City pipped United in the most unbelievable of finishes to a Premier League season in its 20 year history. However 3rd, 4th and 5th positions were still to be settled behind the two Manchester giants and it was the Gunners who prevailed, with their North London rivals just behind them.

That was because they both manage to win their final games, something which Newcastle very sparingly do. The omens were against the Geordies, as they have never won their final away game in any campaign since the inception of the Premier League in 1992.

On-loan midfielder Steven Pienaar ensured it was to be one more year without a win for Newcastle today, when he opened the scoring for the excellent Toffees. Nikica Jelavic added a second before Johnny Heitinga nodded home a third to make things worse for the Magpies. Even Papiss Cisse couldn’t inspire the away side, as Tony Hibbert was the man who found the back of his own net to give Newcastle a consolation.

Throughout the game, Newcastle’s season-long efforts looked as though they had taken their toll on the Geordies, with the hosts looking by far the better side from the first whistle to the last. It took just 16 minutes until they took the lead too, when Pienaar’s deflected shot flew into Tim Krul’s top corner.

The Magpies simply could not get going and their sloppy defending wasn’t helping matters. Another long ball had Williamson and Fabricio Coloccini in trouble thanks to Jelavic’s physicality and the Croatian striker muscled through to face Krul. The first effort was superbly kept out by the Dutch keeper but Jelavic reacted first and expertly finished for his tenth goal since joining from Rangers.

Newcastle rarely threatened and couldn’t get any of their creative forces into the game. Hatem Ben Arfa was unusually quiet and the Senegalese pair of Papiss Cisse and Demba Ba were starved of service.

Another soft goal made things worse for the Geordies when Heitinga rose unopposed to head home Darron Gibson’s free-kick. Even Tony Hibbert hilariously heading past Tim Howard when under relatively little pressure couldn’t make the day any better for the visitors, who will be playing Europa League football next season.

Tim Cahill was sent off after the final whistle for a needlessly ugly tussle with Yohan Cabaye, something which nobody seemed to know the cause of. However, the game was over and the result means Everton finish above rivals Liverpool for the first time since 2004/05 and Newcastle finish 5th and qualify for the Europa League.

It’s a pity the Geordies couldn’t go out in the swashbuckling style they have encompassed so wonderfully all year, but the Geordie nation will be happy with the final look of the Premier League table, as they reach for their passports and travel insurance.