Newcastle United took a massive step towards mid-table mediocrity with a last gasp win over Stoke City at St James’ Park. Papiss Cisse found the net in injury time to win it for the Magpies, after the home side had drawn level through Yohan Cabaye’s sweet free kick.

Jon Walters had put the Potters ahead from the penalty spot with 20 minutes left but Newcastle’s new-found fighting spirit ensured they moved up to 13th in the Premier League table with a late win.

In fairness, Newcastle looked the more likely winners throughout the match as they looked for a way through a stubborn Stoke defence. Tony Pulis’ side attempted to strike on the counter attack and it worked when Walters was felled for the penalty, but otherwise Newcastle were in control.

Cabaye pulled the strings all afternoon and was central to everything that the home side created. He also went close in the first half when his fierce shot looked threatening, only for it to fly wide of Asmir Begovic’s post.

On one of the visiting counter attacks, Ryan Shotton appealed for a penalty after being clipped by Davide Santon. Referee Andre Marriner waved away the protests and replays showed that contact was clearly outside of the box anyway.

Newcastle pressed more and after Cisse had been inches away from Cheick Tiote’s cross, they created the clearest chance of the first half. Cabaye was predictably the orchestrator, threading a stunning pass for Yoan Gouffran, only for the Frenchman to lift over the bar when well placed.

The second half followed the pattern of the first, with Newcastle going close when Moussa Sissoko latched onto a Cheick Tiote pass but couldn’t beat the well advanced Begovic from the edge of the area.

Tiote was then central to his side conceding, as Stoke threatened on the counter attack. Walters found space on the edge of the area and went down after Tiote had recklessly dived in. The same player picked himself up to smash the penalty past Rob Elliot and give Stoke the lead.

In recent months, the penalty would have effectively sealed Newcastle’s fate, such as their failure to come from behind in games. However, now the Geordies instantly improved and were level within five minutes.

Glenn Whelan’s shocking backpass almost let in Gouffran, only for Begovic to stop the former Bordeaux man. The clearance fell to Sissoko and with the Stoke goalkeeper out of position; the midfielder was hacked down inches outside of the box.

The position of the free kick looked almost too close for anyone to score from, only for Cabaye to defy the odds. Newcastle’s captain in the absence of Fabricio Coloccini stepped up and floated a superb effort in off the crossbar to equalise.

A minute after the goal, Alan Pardew introduced Sylvain Marveaux and later, teenager Adam Campbell in search of a winner. Turning to the 18-year old may have seemed a desperate move, but the youngster was involved in the late drama. He was the man who found fellow sub Marveaux and watched on as the Frenchman pulled off a stunning, defence-splitting pass which found Cisse. After the flag stayed down, Cisse finished well and sent the fans home happy.