Newcastle United picked up their first point of the season with a goalless draw at Villa Park.

After coming out of the Manchester City defeat with a great deal of credit, the Magpies failed to capitalise on the good mood and wasted a few good chances to win the game. To make matters worse, Mike Williamson was sent off in stoppage time for a second yellow card.

Alan Pardew named an unchanged line-up to the one that performed well against City and would have hoped the front line of Remy Cabella, Emmanuel Riviere and Yoan Gouffran could open up a Villa defence that was coming off the back of a clean sheet at Stoke last weekend.

But once again, the creativity and cutting edge in the final third was missing and the Geordies will have to wait another week for their first Premier League goal of the season.

Newcastle started brightly, getting on the front foot instantly and enjoying some slick passing in Villa’s half. Sissoko and Cabella tried to unlock the home side but it was Paul Lambert’s side who threatened first.

Vurnon Anita’s deflected shot – Newcastle’s first shot on target of the season – was saved by Brad Guzan and a trademark quick break resulted in Gabriel Agbonlahor finding himself in a good position in the Newcastle box. The former England man cut inside and fired a shot that Williamson blocked well.

The attack seemed to spark Villa into life and soon Charles N’Zogbia became the main threat for the home side. The former Newcastle man went close with a header that looped just over Tim Krul’s crossbar before curling a free-kick narrowly wide of the Dutchman’s near post.

Minutes before N’Zogbia’s free-kick, Yoan Gouffran wasted Newcastle’s best chance when he found himself unmarked in the Villa area. The looping ball looked certain to be volleyed home by the Frenchman but Gouffran missed his kick and the chance went begging.

The best move of the half came from the visitors after 25 minutes, when Daryl Janmaat, Sissoko and Gouffran were all involved and the latter’s shot found Cabella six yards out. The former Montpellier midfielder’s first goal for Newcastle was on a plate but he couldn’t get his feet sorted out in time and he only succeeded in prodding a tame left-footed effort well wide of Guzan’s goal.

Newcastle continued to pressure and an unlikely source went close twice in the early stages of the second half. Janmaat connected with a firm header from a free-kick which Williamson done well to head back, only for Guzan to palm over the bar comfortably.

Minutes later, the Dutch right-back advanced well before cutting inside onto his left foot and smashing an effort inches away from the top corner. It proved to be as close as Newcastle would come.

Williamson had a chance from another Newcastle set piece halfway through the half, only to miss his volley when he might have been better off heading towards goal. The defender then picked up his first yellow card for pulling Darren Bent to the floor.

Alan Pardew introduced Siem de Jong and Ayoze Perez to try and win it for Newcastle and the former had arguably the best chance of the second half when some good play got him through one on one with Guzan. The former Ajax man smashed a good-looking effort towards goal but the American keeper stood big and denied the Dutchman his first Newcastle goal.

Going into stoppage time, a Villa counter-attack was looking dangerous until Williamson upended Agbonlahor and received his second yellow card. Steven Taylor was introduced in place of Ayoze, but only had one touch before Mike Dean blew for full-time.