Newcastle United lost their unbeaten home record this afternoon, when Hull City came away from a five-goal thriller with all three points. Goals from Robbie Brady and Ahmed Elmohamody twice equalised for the Tigers, before a late Sone Aluko volley won it for Steve Bruce’s side.

The result is proof that you never know what is going to happen when Newcastle are involved, as the Magpies spurned the chance to extend their winning run to three games. Loic Remy tried his best but wasn’t backed up by enough of his team mates to hold on for the win.

Unsurprisingly, Alan Pardew named an unchanged line-up for the match and it looked to have paid off as his side started well. The confidence was flowing and the opening goal didn’t take long to come. Moussa Sissoko’s cross was poorly volleyed across goal by Papiss Cisse but Remy was on hand to turn it home for his first Newcastle goal.

With their recent form, it could have been expected that Newcastle would go on to dominate the remainder of the match, but instead they faltered and took their foot off the gas.

Soon, Hull began to get a foothold in the game and it was shortly after their best chance that the equaliser came.

Danny Graham met a Brady cross with a powerful header, only for Krul to push it away. However, the rebound soon found Aluko and a smart pass back to Brady allowed the former Manchester United man to fire a low shot home.

Graham again threatened when he narrowly failed to collect a nice pass from Tom Huddlestone, but the striker still remains goalless since New Year’s Day. Jake Livermore also had a shot blocked as the away side pressured.

When it looked like the next goal would be in favour of Bruce’s side, Newcastle struck against the run of play. Yohan Cabaye’s long range effort deflected heavily and fell perfectly for Remy, who finished comfortably.

Despite the setback, Hull didn’t crumble and they came back strong in the second half. Former Sunderland man Elmohamady found space from a Brady free kick and diverted his header in off the post to level the scores once again.

Newcastle were then forced into a change when Cabaye took a heavy blow from Curtis Davies and their main threat, Remy, was clearly tiring. Hatem Ben Arfa also struggled to make any real impact before Hull took the lead for the first – and only – time.

This time it was Aluko who went from provider to scorer, firing home a spectacular volley from George Boyd’s cross.
Remy had a chance to complete his hat-trick and draw Newcastle level in the dying seconds, only to poke his effort wide when it fell to him in the box.