Aaron Cresswell’s second half goal condemned Newcastle United to their first defeat in seven games as West Ham took the spoils at Upton Park.

Moussa Sissoko also seen red as Newcastle’s winning run was brought to an end by Sam Allardyce’s side, who moved into fifth place in the Premier League.

Heading into the game, all the momentum was with the Geordies. Alan Pardew’s side had won their last six in all competitions and were boosted by the return of Cheick Tiote, who captained the side in the absence of Fabricio Coloccini.

On the flip side, West Ham hadn’t tasted victory since beating Premier League champions Manchester City at home back in October.

In the opening stages, the contest seemed to be following the form guide.

Newcastle moved the ball well and in-form striker Ayoze Perez caught the eye again. The Spaniard’s pace and movement caused problems for James Tomkins and James Collins and it was the former Tenerife man who went closest in the first 45 minutes.

First, Perez turned quickly inside the box and fired a shot narrowly wide before attempting a more extravagant flick which missed the target by a similar distance.

West Ham struggled to get into the game in an attacking sense. Lone striker Andy Carroll found it hard to make an impact against his old club but did have a penalty shout turned down when his shot cannoned off Mike Williamson’s arm.

The lack of quality in the final third hardly promised a goal anytime soon, so when Cresswell popped up inside the box to finish off a scruffy move ten minutes into the second half it was something of a surprise.

The former Ipswich left-back came forward before finding Stewart Downing infield, who in turn helped it on to Cheikhou Kouyate. The former Anderlecht midfielder shanked a horrible shot towards goal but Cresswell was on hand to control and stab past Rob Elliot in the Newcastle goal.

Alan Pardew turned to Remy Cabella and Papiss Cisse from the bench to change the game but will have lost hope when Sissoko was shown two rapid yellow cards.

First, the Frenchman petulantly kicked the ball away before crashing into Andy Carroll just over a minute later. Referee Mike Dean sent the former Toulouse midfielder off, just as he sent off Mike Williamson in the 0-0 draw with Aston Villa earlier this season.

With ten men, Newcastle never looked likely to get back into the match and the Hammers hung on comfortably for the win.